Monday, February 3, 2014

And the award for most annoying goes to…


  …the people who feel the need to chime in with their opinion on your life, talents, and dreams.  The ones who say, “Really?  You’re not going to make any money doing that!”  “The odds of that happening are slim.”  “That’s going to be really difficult!”  I’m sorry, but did I ask for your opinion? No? Hmmm…interesting.

In fact, some of my favorite decisions have been the ones that people said I couldn’t or shouldn’t be making.  “That would require too much work…you haven’t ever played that sport before…you’re going to miss out”.  And yes, the decisions I made did require extra work, I did miss out on some “normal” events, but the result was so worth it.  I developed a confidence in myself – I can pick up a tennis racket and become a decent player without any previous experience. (Or learn anything new if I put my mind to it for that matter!)  I learned that in order to grow, you have to force yourself outside of your comfort zone – even if that means attending audition after audition and letting strangers evaluate your voice (which, for the record, is one of the scariest things in the world!!!)  I learned that while at first your choices might seem crazy, silly, and stressful – they are the decisions that will ultimately be the most rewarding.

My advice when dealing with these types of people - and I need to do this myself - is to ignore them.  The only reason they are telling you that you can’t achieve something, or that something is too risky, is because personally they’re too afraid to try.  Or if you go and accomplish and conquer your dream, they are going to feel like you’re now better than them.  (And no, you’re accomplishments do not make you any better.  Let’s not get arrogant, friends.)

So…take the plunge!  Go for it!  And if you fail miserably, at least you can stand proudly and say you tried.  Whereas the rest of the negative committee will still be sitting in their comfort bubble carrying out mediocre daily activities.  Refuse to let their insecurities and safety nets become your own.  Smile politely, say “thanks for your input” – if you’re feeling extra generous - and then move on with your life.  Grab the aerosol and spray their reeking, negative fumes away. 

Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment