Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Prom...let's think about this practically.


***As the prom season rolls around I felt the need to suggest some practicality.  I don’t expect you to agree with me, however, these things need to be said.


Sophomore Year...AKA the blue, beautiful, & borrowed dress.
I bought 2 of my 3 prom dresses at Dillard’s. 

Yes, a department store.  And my third?  I borrowed from - get this - a girl who went to my high school AND had worn it for her Junior prom.

Gasp!  A department store?  Borrowing a dress from someone in your high school?  The HORROR! That poor girl…

Now that we got that out of our system, let’s set some stuff straight.  At the time, I was not excited that my mother insisted we at least look at a department store for my prom dress.  I was actually really angry with her.  Didn’t she know people don’t buy their dresses at a department store?  We have to go to a boutique to buy a prom dress!  But, looking back I am oh-so-glad that she forced a heavy dose of reality down my throat.

Think about the logistics of this prom dress.  You’re going to wear this dress for one night.  Probably for about nine hours, give or take a bit.  While wearing this said dress you are going to be hugging your friends and taking pictures, and in the process of this someone’s jewelry is going to get caught and you probably won’t make it through the night without at least two snags.  Also, you will be dancing. I hate to break it to you, but if you opted for a long dress it’s going to get stepped on and possibly ripped.  Sorry, but it will.  If you’re school has a dinner or allows punch during prom night, you definitely run the risk of spilling down your front as well.  At least if you’re me, that will happen.

Junior Year.  Dillard's dress #1.
But for some reason, year after year we insist on dropping hundreds of dollars for our dress, sometimes over half a grand.  On a dress you’re wearing for one night. I don’t blame you if you’ve done this – not at all – it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of prom.  At one point I thought spending hundreds on a dress was normal. However, now that I’m out of high school and looking back, I realize how completely ridiculous this is.  I spent $100 on my senior year prom dress.  In general that is significantly less than the average cost of a dress. (At least in my hometown.)  There are so many better options for that money than a dress that’s going to end up snagged, ripped, stained, and in the back of your closet.  In college, that money could pay for your parking permit, or at least most of it.  It could pay for your Biology textbook.  It could go towards your spring break road-trip with your new college friends.  Better yet, $400 could sponsor a child for almost a year that actually needs the money to survive.  (Don’t believe me? Check this out, http://www.worldvision.org/m/sponsor-a-child/?campaign=1193519&gclid=COix3PCm7bsCFSISMwod0nYACQ ) Unfortunately, you spent it on a dress. 

Second, put the pride aside.  If your friends are bragging about who spent the most money on their prom dress, realize that they are probably just insecure.  Or incredibly unaware of how ridiculous that is.  Or completely vain and self-centered.  I, personally, would much rather have friends who brag about what they found on the clearance rack.  And who cares if you borrow a dress? Do it!  If someone does notice, and does care, point out that you will have $400 more than they do to take that road trip.   You’re being the smart one here.  Don’t forget that.

Senior Year.  Dillard's dress #2.
Prom is fun, and you should enjoy it.  I have many fabulous memories from the proms I attended.  However, it has gotten out of control.  And not all of this is the student’s fault, in fact it often stems from the parents.  There are too many parents trying to top the others by buying their daughters ridiculously overpriced, designer dresses.  Too much emphasis put on buying the dress from the “right” store.  Too much pride in refusing to wear a used dress.  (Please, get over it! It’s really the most cost-effective, practical, and smart thing to do. You too, parents!)   

Believe me, you’ll thank me when you can afford the parking permit, go on a spring break trip, or put the money towards your wedding dress later on.




* For the record, my mother did let me look at boutiques for my dress.  I was the one who decided on the dresses from Dillard’s.  Love ya, Mom! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment